Mabey STEM Education Programme:
encouraging the next generation of engineers
At Mabey Hire, we know how varied, fascinating and rewarding a career in engineering can be. With engineering expertise at the heart of who we are, we have a responsibility to secure the future of the engineering profession – and our business – by encouraging the next generation of engineers.
So we developed a 16-week programme for school children aged 10-13 with fun at its core. We piloted it in 2017 and had fantastic feedback from school children and teachers alike. And we saw a transformation take place before our eyes – at the end of the programme we had a number of budding engineers, with 95 per cent of the children who took part saying they would now consider a career in engineering.
Recently we kicked off our second year, in which we will deliver the programme to classes of 12 children across three schools in Manchester, Glasgow and Wigan.
We are working with our customers to help them introduce the Mabey STEM Education programme into schools near them.
One such customer is Morgan Sindall Infrastructure, who are delivering the Mabey STEM Education Programme to a school in Rugby throughout 2018-19.
Alison Chippington, Infrastructure’s Head of Work Winning at Morgan Sindall Infrastructure, said:
“It was in conversation with our supplier Mabey at our Group Supply Chain best practice event earlier this year that we first heard about this innovative education scheme. Seeing the potential, Morgan Sindall Infrastructure has been delighted to support the scheme in its first pilot in the industry – we are committed to inspiring the workforce of the future and addressing the industry’s skill shortage and this programme does just that.”
As we kicked off the 2018-19 programme, we asked the new classes of schoolchildren a few questions about engineering and their own career goals. We’ll catch up with them at the end of the programme to see what they’ve learned.
What is the Mabey STEM Education Programme?
- It’s a 16-week programme for school children aged 10-13 with fun at its core
- In 90-minute after-school clubs, Mabey Hire's team help schoolchildren improve their awareness and perceptions of the engineering and construction sectors, by giving them the opportunity to learn basic engineering principles in a hands-on, fun way.
- Using LEGO® Education materials and Mabey’s bespoke ‘mission mat’, students explore six core topics which challenge their mathematical, problem solving and strategic thinking skills. The lessons cover eight different engineering activities, including beam balance, power car crane and bridge
- Students experience the future of technology in construction by visiting some of the world’s most iconic structures – for example the Sydney Opera House of Eiffel Tower – in a LEGO® VR World, seeking out statistics and facts as they aim to complete tasks.
- Each session is delivered by Mabey Hire's STEM Ambassadors